Tuesday, December 26, 2017

AR Pistol Concepts. Updated: 15 May, 2018.

Updated: I have added more thoughts on the AR GPP concept here.
An AR-15 General Purpose Pistol concept.
It utilizes a 12.5" barrel on a pistol lower.

Lately I have been thinking a lot about AR Pistol possibilities. I have been using the online Gunstruction app to develop these ideas visually. Generally the idea is the same, using four different calibers: .22lr, 5.56 NATO, .308 WIN, and 9mm. The way I see it, the biggest advantage of an AR pistol over a SBR (short barreled rifle) is the ability to transport it anywhere as a pistol without the necessary transport paperwork that a SBR would require.

The .22LR is really a plinker, but I know that my youngest two boys would have a ball shooting one. Essentially it is a dedicated .22lr upper with a 8-9in barrel. I did add a Law Tactical side folder just for kicks.

.22lr AR-15 pistol plinker. 

The 5.56NATO version is the centerpiece of my concept. Using a 12.5 inch barrel and a variable scope, this GPP (General Purpose Pistol) fills an area that is user defined.

The 5.56 NATO AR-15 GPP concept. Utilizes a 12.5" barrel on a pistol lower.

The .308 version also uses a 12.5 in barrel. In many respects, a 12.5 is best for a general purpose gun. Short enough for a truck gun concept, yet long enough for up to 200-300 yard shots (and possibly beyond based on type of ammo used and a strict adherence to shooting fundamentals).

The 12.5 barreled .308 WIN AR pistol concept

My brother is a big proponent of the 9mm AR pistols. With a 6-8 inch barrel, he is confident that he can make critical hits at 100 yards all day. I would think that definitely utilizing the Glock magazine compatible lowers would be best. Those magazines come in a variety of sizes and it would make sense to use those if you are already carrying a Glock handgun.

Another advantage of having one to two pistol lowers is the ability of swapping pistol lowers with no issues. I already have a 10.5 AR pistol upper, but, after more research, I definitely see the sense of a 12.5 inch barrel.

Now, it is just a matter of building these. 

No comments:

Post a Comment