Monday, May 14, 2018

More Thoughts On The AR GPP Concept.

5.56 AR GPP Concept. Gunstruction has not added the new SB
Tactical pistol braces yet. 

I have noticed an uptick on views of my initial post about the AR GPP (General Purpose Pistol) Concept that I have playing with for a while now. Especially with the explosion in pistol brace ideas out there, I am more and more in the camp of the utilitarian use of a 11.5-12.5 inch barrel AR pistol.

I am not going to get into the perennial argument of barrel length vs. velocity vs. accuracy vs. caliber vs. bullet weight. Too often in the community we forget that every person's purpose is going to be different. I have been researching idea of AR pistols for some time. I started taking the concept more seriously after this reading this article on an AR Recce Pistol Concept. Also, I have been watching Abner Miranda's youtube channel with some of his videos on some of the work that he has been doing with AR pistols.

One of the things I find interesting is how it seems that a vast majority of trainers out there have not really addressed the issue of the rising popularity of AR pistols. Granted, most of them would argue that it should be just an SBR issue, but I think there is a growing segment of shooters that would find classes tailored around the effective use of an AR pistol helpful.

One of my faults is "analysis paralysis." This is due to the fact that unlike other gun owners, I do not at this time, have the financial ability to just go and order or buy what ever when I see it. (A quick side note: My parents were here visiting recently from out of state. I took my father to a local well known gunshop in town. While we were there, a frequent customer walked in, saw a gun that tickled his fancy, and bought it right then and there. Listening to the employees talk, he does that all the time.) I spend weeks, months, and sometimes longer planning options, always adjusting for this new item or do-dad. This is one of the reasons I really like Gunstruction, although, they do not always update as quickly as the market.

This is the main reason that I get really attached to firearms that I own. There is so much time, thought, and purpose put into each one of them, it is very hard to think of selling one for what ever reason, opportunity, or necessity. I currently have a large spreadsheet broken down into various options of uppers, optics, lights, and other things, all mixed into different configurations and what the cost would be for each.

Here is the upper I am currently looking at for my next build:

12.5 inch 5.56 NATO completed pistol upper.

I have currently a 10.5 inch pistol upper that I would like to convert to .22lr just for plinking with my small boys. The beauty of AR pistols is the quick ability to switch uppers dependent on use or purpose, with just one lower.

I am really curious to see what you all think, have had experience with, or other suggestions you might have.

No comments:

Post a Comment