Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Overheard in a Hospital.

I love listening to other people's conversations. I figure if they are talking loud enough to be heard clearly, then they are are not desiring privacy.

Very recently, my son was having an outpatient procedure done at one of the hospitals in our town. The conversation I overheard was fascinating. Two couples, one of whom had a family member also having a surgery done, were talking business dealings and the market. Both couples were wealthy for the area. This was obvious by their clothes, watches, shoes, and their demeanor. Especially their demeanor. There was a casual crassness that indicated how bored they are with their lives.


The men started talking about investing opportunities. One of them was involved in the legal marijuana trade here. The numbers he threw out were impressive. Even staggering. Their discussion wondered into flipping water damaged high end sports cars from the hurricane season after having them "restored" in Mexico.

They then moved to their beliefs about the markets, the national debt, and other similar items. They were waiting for a major market correction; that the debt was unsustainable, and to watch the shipping industries as an indicator for the economy at large. Their concerns for their portfolios was apparent. What was lacking was their concern for their fellow citizens and how "it" would drastically effect others.

This does not surprise me at all.

The whole conversation continued for over an hour. Honestly, I wish I could have taken written notes. In reality, I was more intrigued by their attitudes and language, and their idea that somehow there was a bubble around them.

But, upon further reflection, I think it goes deeper than that. I think they wanted to be overheard, to be thought of as successful, wealthy, and above it all. So, what does that say about them?


4 comments: