Sunday, July 1, 2018

155 Years Ago, If You Remember.

155 years ago today the Battle of Gettysburg started. While I will not argue the rights and wrongs of the American Civil War, I will say that some, if not many, of the views I once held about the war have changed over the last 30 years.


During my freshman year in college, there was a couple of local guys who were starting a civil war reenactment group. It was a federal impression group. Being a lover of history, I was interested. I started reenacting with them the summer of 1991 in Missouri. The 130th anniversary reenactment season, while not as popular as the 125th anniversary, was a great time to start into the hobby, which quickly became a lifestyle. My wife and I were married in a period style wedding. Our home was decorated with civil war themed items and if you were to visit us them, more than likely music from the period would be playing on our stereo.






Union reenactors were typically outnumbered at most events, especially the small ones. That same summer I participated in the 130th anniversary reenactment of the Battle of Wilson's Creek. That was my first "big" event with over 5,000 other reenactors there over the 3 day event. It was also where I experienced my first "bubble" or where, for just a moment, you forget where you are actually at. You get caught up in the sounds and smells that surround you.

The following summer, two other friends and I traveled to Gettysburg to participate in the filming of the movie "Gettysburg." We were gone for a week and squeezed in time to visit the battlefield there, and also Harper's Ferry and the Antietam battlefield.

I continued to reenact right up the time that joined the Army in December 2001.

Nostalgia has reared its head this weekend, and I find myself traipsing down the lanes of memory. The reenacting group that I was in still exists today. They still participate in events. I have been invited to join them at events, but I have never been able to get away to join them.

With today's incivility in our culture and politics, we are best reminded to take a step back and remember what the actual cost of a civil war is.

Trailer for Gettysburg (1993)




Gods and Generals (2003) The prequel to Gettysburg


Opening credits to Gods and Generals.

No comments:

Post a Comment