Friday, December 2, 2016

Preparing Your Family, Especially Your Children, For "The Incident"

I have always tried to incorporate my children and their safety in any contingency planning where firearms may be used. The intensity, the noise, the expectation of immediate obedience to my commands have long concerned me. Then I found the article "Six Self-Defense Commands and Strategies for Families…" located at the God, Gals, Guns, Grub blog. While it has been a year since there has been any activity there, I nonetheless found the article to very informative and validating.

As the article states, the KISS method must be used when dealing with children. I have taught my children from the time that they understand the concept to always be aware of their surroundings. They have even caught me a few times when my guard was down. We play games of observation when we walk into a business. We look for the exits, bathrooms, "funny" looking people, etc.

It is important not to instill a sense of fear, but a sense of awareness in our children. Let them be children, but, they can often sense things that we do not see. With today's concerns of terrorism, and what we have seen done in just the last year alone, we cannot afford to be complacent with our daily lives.

Something to think about and work on this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment