Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Old Is New Again.

 Sometimes I am a sucker for nostalgia...especially when it comes to military gear.

Currently it is the M81 woodland pattern. My new location is no longer the desert and while my personal gear was purchased with that in mind, it tends to stick out like a sore thumb in woods and green pastures of Missouri Ozarks plateau. While I love newer patterns like Kryptek and Multicam, I am tacking more and more to the old standby of my early Army days...good old M81 woodland.

So I am finding myself assembling a FLIC vest in woodland. Much of it consists of items that I gave my late father long ago, so it is doubly nostalgic. Putting the various pouches onto the vest is both cathartic and meditative, knowing that my father handled these same items throughout the intervening years.

But the old is new again is far more than just concerning gear. I am noticing a strong resurgence in old style patrolling and recon techniques as well. Some of it is a recognition of we are pivoting from the short term run and gun style patrols of the GWOT. Some of it is also a recognition of fighting near peer threats. It is interesting to see younger generations discover the techniques that served our service members well in Vietnam. Technology changes and improves, but proven techniques, no matter how old, are passed on to each new generation.

One of my favorites is the Delta Recon Tips memo from 1970.

What are some of your favorites?


No comments:

Post a Comment