Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Looking Forward and Looking Back.

We are just a few days away from the 75th anniversary of D-Day. My grandfather landed there on that day. It took him 40 years to talk about it. 25 years ago I got to visit those beaches. I walked out as far as I could and turned around and looked back towards the beach. I tried to lose myself and feel what it must have been like. As much as I had read in military history, especially accounts from combat, I still could not get completely "in the moment." It was too peaceful. Too rainy. As it should have been.

********

With the passing of Memorial Day I was reminded that while we mourn the fallen, especially those we knew, it is important to LIVE. That is what they wanted us to do. To live, to celebrate, to be alive.

********
I realize that it has been some time since I posted last. There is a lot going on here personally. I was able to take a vacation solo back home and attend a Global War on Terror memorial at my college alma mater. Yes, my alma mater is a very patriotic school. It was a very rainy day, and it was a day of healing. I got to see some very old friends and spend some much needed and very overdue time with family.

Then, literally on the second to last day there, I received a phone call that I had been selected for another promotion at work, from shift supervisor to senior supervisor of the department. I was stunned to say the least. More responsibility and more challenges, but it is a welcome change at this point.

********

I did finally get to build the first in my series of AR GPP concept builds. It is a 12.5 inch barreled 5.56 NATO upper with a 1-4x power optic on it. I am really excited to get to put some rounds through it, but I am working to find the best place to shoot it. Most of the regulated ranges around here might frown on such a firearm.

********

It is hard to stay positive in our current cloudburst negative world.

********

Record territory this year for tornadoes. Over 500 in the last month alone. Plus all the flooding. The summer of 1993 was very similar. I wonder what the Farmers Almanac forecasted for this year.



No comments:

Post a Comment