Tuesday, January 30, 2018

What Is It That You Want? And A Quick Thought On Customer Service In The Social Media Age.

Lately I have changed a behavior of mine. I am a news and talk radio junkie. I love listening to talk radio on my way to and from work. Twenty years ago I was introduced to the weird world of Art Bell's Coast to Coast AM. That show was my audio companion during the overnight security shift that worked at the time. More recently I have been introduced to Clyde Lewis's Ground Zero program. His analysis, to me, has always been entertaining.

So where does this fit with the title question? By and large I have stopped listening to the radio on my drive into work. I have replaced it with two podcasts that force my thoughts to that question and what may help give answers to that question.
One of the things I realized last year is that I was drifting with the winds and current of life. It is very easy to do so, and I had all the right reasons and excuses to do that. However, that was a state of affairs that I did not want to be in. I know that what we put into our minds can and will effect our thoughts and outlook on life. At the core of it, I wanted to be a better man with all that goes along with it.

Last year I had discovered the Order of Man podcast by Ryan Michler. He has two years of content to listen to. However, I had not started listening to his podcasts until this month. I have not listened to every podcast, nor does every one interest me, however, I do find his work and interviews with successful men, authors, and businessmen to be thought provoking and educational. Plus, a single podcast will last both to and from work. To be honest, I wish I had a way to take notes while I am driving.

There is another podcast I like to listen to as well. The owner of Bravo Concealment, Rene Aguirre, posts short (5-10 minutes) podcast in which he discusses success in business, the market and how it drives decisions, why to conceal carry, and characteristics of a successful man and business owner. Since his podcasts are short, he drives right to the heart of the thought and discussion.

So what is it that you want?

******

Earlier this month I reached out to a well known tactical gear and training company with a couple of questions, not necessarily related to their products, but rather to the owner's opinion on a popular direction in today's market of ARs and about an interview and article that he had done. I did this through a social media platform's messaging system in order not to get lost in the noise of a generic post. I did see that they (I am sure an employee) had seen and read the message that I had sent on the 4th, then, no answer.

I never expected a quick turn around in an answer from him, however, in today's social media market, if I had desired to make a stink about not receiving an answer, it would be very easy to do so. But this drives to a deeper matter of customer service.

I am the kind of customer that is fiercely loyal to a company that treats its customers and employees right. Even if it costs me more money. We were customers of a small mom and pop prepping store years ago, even though the cost of the items were more than what we could have found them for online. The reason for this was the relationship that was developed between us and the owners. The same with the auto-mechanic shop that we used for repairs to our vehicle.

I am not going to blast the name of the company or the owner. Both are instantly recognizable within the community. I will however, think twice about doing business with them in the future. It is totally possible that my message got overlooked. January is also a busy time with a lot of the businesses within the community getting ready for the recently ended SHOT Show.

There needs to be a reevaluation of customer service and what it really means to business. Customers are not just endless pots of money to be exploited. But, then again, what if that is the perception.

No comments:

Post a Comment